i> Away With The Fairies.: It's Show Time.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

It's Show Time.





I'm not a fan of French cars. They perform very well, it's just that French engineers never make any concessions to ease of maintenance.
Take the Citroen 2CV.
For some reason, known only to themselves, the company thought it a good idea to locate the oil filter inside the engine.
Changing an oil filter, is a job that on any normal car, should take about 5 minutes.
The 2CV however, requires the whole engine to be removed and split apart.
All this on a car, which is little more than a potting shed, fitted with pram wheels and a motorcycle engine.

I took Little Miss to the circus. Uncle Sam's Great American Circus in fact.
Being an automotive nerd, I had to comment, as the clown car drove into the ring, that it was constructed on the rolling chassis of a Citroen 2CV.

"How do you know?"

She must have regretted saying that the moment the words left her mouth.

"It has the 2CV's unique leading arm front suspension." I resisted the urge to enlarge.

We watched with amusement as the engine made loud exploding noises and the doors fell off, at which point I leaned across and said,

"See, never buy a French car."

17 Comments:

Blogger The Mistress said...

Yay! I'm first!

12:59 PM  
Blogger Inexplicable DeVice said...

So, are those harlots skirts made of the roof material of the said 2CV?

Or the seat coverings?

Yay! I'm second!

6:14 PM  
Blogger Tickersoid said...

IDV, could well be.

11:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been obliged to drive a succession of French cars recently, mostly in the Megane family. Yuck! A huge, cumbersome plastic card/brick instead of key to start the bloody thing, and one of them didn't even have a handbrake where it should. And it was some automatic thingy. And the arse-end of the vehicle is just plain ugly. It's like they sat down and posed themselves the question: just how ugly can we make a car?

1:30 PM  
Blogger Divian said...

What an ugly car. But then again, you would probably think American cars are crap too. :)

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only good thing to come out of France is garlic.

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and wine.

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and saying Haw-He-Haw.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Snooze said...

I hope Little Miss appreciated your invaluable wisdom and insight. Although seeing your recent luck with cars, I'm not sure how much worse the circus car could be.

6:01 PM  
Blogger egan said...

Mon dieu, ma voiture est en panne!

12:33 AM  
Blogger Tickersoid said...

Mais naturellement, il est français.

1:04 AM  
Blogger mushroom said...

Hahaha the duechevo eh?
I'm sure they are only hard to service so that french mechanics can be grumpy.

Who would put the bloody filter inside?

11:08 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

Even more amazing than the notion of you being an automotive expert, is the thought of you going to the circus.

3:13 AM  
Blogger phlegmfatale said...

Dis donc! Ma voiture est comme moi. Ma voiture fait une mauvaise odeur.

funny thing - don't forget the cheese and the sumptuous textiles, and the shoes by Robert Clergerie. Sehr delicioso. Otherwise, France can take a flying fuck at a rolling donut on a gravel road for all I care. I would have expected a Citroen to be met with derision in a nation that birthed the Jaguar and Aston-Martin. And the Mini, which is super cute.

Great post tickers. Being a mechanic's daughter I can appreciate the My Cousin Vinny moment you treated Little Miss to at the circus. Well done.

3:56 AM  
Blogger Tickersoid said...

Mushroom- That's exactly why the mechanics are grumpy. That and having to smoke Gaulousse cigarettes.

Jay- Hardly an expert, but I've twiddled a spanner or two in my time. The circus was a whim.

Phlegm- Conduisez à un marché de poissons, personne saura.

I didn't know Robert Clergerie made hiking boots:)

There is something interresting you can do with a 2cv. I think you'll like the little 3 wheeled Lomax
I loved 'My Cousin Vinnie'

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home