i> Away With The Fairies.: The Student Doctor.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

The Student Doctor.

The student doctor, in her final year of seven, leads me to a featureless examination room. I’d only popped in for a ‘productive’ cough that I’d been four weeks trying to overcome.

Any experienced general practitioner would have written a prescription for amoxicillin with out even looking up and sent me on my way saying, “If it doesn’t improve, come back (and I’ll examine you properly).”

Instead she examines me thoroughly. After the examination we wait for the real doctor…………..we wait………….in a featureless room……………trying to avoid eye contact…..in a featureless room……

Eventually she says, “I’m sorry about the wait.”

“No need to apologise,” I reply, “I was married for 20 years, I’m used to awkward silences.”

She laughs, not nervously but sincerely. After which the silence and eye contact avoidance, continues.

“You caught it on New Years eve?” She ventures to break the silence.

“Oh yes, I think I got it from being intimate with a senior staff nurse. I mention this for two reasons. Firstly, It just might help with the diagnosis, but secondly and more importantly, in spite of my age, I’m still immature enough to want to brag about it.”

She laughs the sincere laugh again. I continue.

“Normally, in speech, my statements aren’t so complex but the awkward silences give me the opportunity to compose.”

I relieve the tension by asking her about her career intentions and actually listening to the answers.

The doctor arrives and we reassemble in his room where Student Doctors examination is itself examined.

Real Doctor- “So what would you prescribe?”

Student Doctor- “A course of Amoxcicillin?”

Real Doctor- “Quite right.”

Two thoughts spring to mind.

‘Duhhhh!’ and ‘Should I swallow this phlegm now or retain it in my mouth until such time as I can dispose of it?’

10 Comments:

Blogger Snooze said...

You did your part in helping to train the next generation of doctors, and in ensuring the satisfaction of senior staff nurses!

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh! Yuck! Jack just upped a load of that stuff this morning. I hate it when it happens to me.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Tickersoid said...

Snooze-Thanks. It's good to be appreciated.

Awaiting- if Jack has just 'upped' a load of senior staff nurses, your marriage is in big trouble.....OH! Phlegm right.....How come I never see ladies do the houghell and spit manouver? Do you all swallow everything?

8:33 PM  
Blogger jungle jane said...

Could i have the phlegm please Tickers? My table leg is wobbly and needs gluing down...

8:45 PM  
Blogger The Mistress said...

Now I can't keep up with you!

Are you on Bennies?

12:19 AM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Oh, Ticks. I'm all twitterpated now. And with that accent....do accents work on your girls, too, the way they do on Americans?

5:39 AM  
Blogger Tickersoid said...

Jungle Jane- It's in the post.....or leg.

MJ- Absolutely!

I- Twitterpated?
I didn't know phlegm could be that sezy.

5:56 AM  
Blogger Tickersoid said...

Sexy not sezy.

Actually, sezy seems somehow, to be more appropriate.

5:57 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

But Tick, was she fit???

10:47 AM  
Blogger Tickersoid said...

She was fit but only three years away from hefferdome.

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home