i> Away With The Fairies.: Book Meme

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Book Meme

Qenny's last act before ending his blog was to post a book meme which tagged me amongst others.
I thought it might be interesting to see what the 'kid with reading difficulties' came up with.
I've read very few books in my time. My shelf consists mostly of Haynes manuals for cars.

  1. One book you have read more than once. My all time favorite book, 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenance'. Apart from being a good father and son road trip on one level, it also has somethings to say about the nature of 'quality'. Sanity, Problem solving and philosophy. There is drama, surprise and much thought provocation. All wrapped up in layers of analogous threads.
  2. One book you would want on a desert island. Obviously some kind of 'what to do if you're ever stuck on a desert island' hand book would be good, as would a 30 Ft by 20 Ft leather bound book which would be opened up into an instant shelter, although I feel these answers are not in the spirit of the question. 'Catch 22', couldn't put it down. I loved the crazy logic. or maybe 'The Outsider' by Camus. The central character of which, I found easy to identify with.
  3. One book that made you laugh. 'Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'. The only fantasy story I can tolerate.
  4. One book that made you cry. Don't like to admit this but after much thought, the only book I could think of that had ever made me cry directly, was one of the 'My friend Flicker' books I read as a kid. Being a big girls blouse I tend to blub, at the drop of a hat, at all sorts of cheesy movies. Indirectly the Haynes manual for the Honda C70 made me cry when it advised me to oil my nylon lined control cables and caused them all to seize up permanently.
  5. One book I wish I had written. I'm just very glad I've never written a book. It takes me long enough just to do a post let alone pore my life away on a book.
  6. One book you wish had never been written. I'm with Qenny on this one. All of the religious 'bibles'.
  7. One book I am currently reading. I have been given three books recently and I haven't touched any of them.
  8. One book I have meant to read. Every time I read a book review I want to read that book. I know I won't but I do appreciate that by not reading, I'm missing out on the kind of convenience and perspective only the written word can provide.
  9. One book that changed your life. I don't know exactly which one, but one of the DIY books I read when I first bought a house made me realise I could do most things that might other wise require a professional.
  10. I tag awaiting, ickle_bro, phlegmfatal, MJ and Kyahgirl.

15 Comments:

Blogger Divian said...

Yayyyy! A meme.

Remind me to strangle you later.

*runs off to do meme*

4:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm surprised the desert island one wasn't the Jumbo Book of Big Jugs.
That's all I'm saying.

12:39 PM  
Blogger ~d said...

This is a great meme. I may be here to answer a few of these.
What is the answer to life, universe and everything?

10:00 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

I've finally gotten around to picking up a favorite old pastime - reading. I went and got a library card and have been thoroughly enjoying having a book or two laying around that I can pick up and read for some escape/ diversion/ entertainment/ brain food/ perspective. Having a book around that you're slowly pecking away at is like having a friend always at the ready, only the book will never ask for a ride, to borrow money or if it can drink your last beer. I'm sounding a bit hermetic, no?

4:39 AM  
Blogger The Mistress said...

This is the first time I've ever been tagged! I regret that I'm bowing out because I just got back from hols (good excuse). Oh, and I like big girls blouses.

5:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Alright Tickers you evil tagging being. I've fulfilled my destiny.

You cried? Ahhhh you sissy!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

d(tilde): Be simple minded, the answer to life, universe and everything is "Yes"

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was very enjoyable, and some of your answers seem quite at odds with the earlier mention of reading difficulties. I know lots of people - and am related to loads of them - who haven't read anything nearly as sophisticated as Catch 22 or Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance, despite not having ever had any difficulties with reading. And they would probably think a Camus was a type of garment :-)

12:45 PM  
Blogger Tickersoid said...

Awaiting- Cricky, you completed your's quickly.

Funny Thing- I'm sure I don't know what you mean.

~d-The same as my age 42
*coughs shamefully*

I- That's what I've missed out on with books that being able to pick up during any spare moment thing. If only we could do that with blogging.

MJ-"Just got back from hols" what kind of an excuse is that?
You can always bung it in your in tray.
The crying is quite bad. I found myself getting tear full on hearing 'Paradise by the Dashboard Light' today, I mean what on earth is tearfull about that!
Seems It reminded me of happy times that were no longer to be.

Ickle_bro- We can't all be as butch as you and your sister.

Qenny- I find ordinary pulp too boring to induce me to make the efort to read. Those titles had me engrossed.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

True!

9:44 PM  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

great meme tickers. I can't believe you tagged me while I wasn't looking...I'll get on it this week sometime.

I cried at My Friend Flicka too.
Your comment about your Haynes manual making you cry had me in stitches. :-)

3:42 AM  
Blogger Divian said...

Hey Tick...where you at?

Missing you!

6:36 AM  
Blogger The Dog of Freetown said...

People underestimate the power of DIY books. The book that changed my life was the manual to my PC. I threw it away, and in doing so, liberated myself.

7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just click here for the attractive deals available allowing you to have all these glasses and pick the foremost affordable sunglasses enchanting yourself Canada Goose.. ugg boots on sale The outside compartment is made of satin canvas, whilst the inside path pocket is crafted in Ayer. north face jackets on sale There are many recommendations for e-commerce solutions. http://www.lateuggboots.com I'm sure they were asking incoming deli customers for money for food because most people either breezed by them without stopping or stopped momentarily before continuing on their way. http://www.fitghdhair.com Previously mentioned are only a couple of of my favorite B Makowsky designs which are readily available..

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most schools are much more lenient in the footwear department. north face sale Stephanie: I, as are many of you, am riding high on Braun winning his appeal Thursday and then him absolutely crushing his statement Friday. http://www.verynorthface.com It's freezing in Joburg now, so stock up with winter woolies, boots and jeans at this factory shop in Randburg. http://www.oneghdhair.com The guides are in different styles. ghd glamour limited edition You should have at least five-seven bras, one for every day, and they should be replaced about every year.

3:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home