i> Away With The Fairies.: The Adventure of Seven Men and a Dog.

Friday, April 20, 2007

The Adventure of Seven Men and a Dog.

I pay tribute to my friends and colleagues. From left to right, Tickersoid, Councilor Big nose, Shrek with Dog, Sausages, Ed Shot, Max Cadey, and Pip Nillips.

OK, I'm a Muppet. I put my hand up.
Having failed to remove the time from the pictures, I set it correctly then put freshly charged batteries in the camera. I know, I should have done it the other way around.

This place is full of caves and disused mines. The underground rivers are fast flowing and bitterly cold. Lives have been lost in these places.
I thought there would be four water falls and that would be it. This walk was a never ending cascade of cascades. Fresh beauty found at every turn.

And such fine weather. It really couldn't have been better.
The drop to the right is most probably fatal. Ridge walks were a common feature of this hike. The underfoot conditions weren't always as good as this. Mostly, we had to pick our way through loose angular rocks and a lattice of tree roots

Getting our feet wet to do this so early on in the walk was worth the fun of standing behind a waterfall.
Under different circumstances, I'm sure most of us would have gone for a swim in some of the many crystal clear deep pools we encountered. Some of the vantage points to these pools would have made very good diving platforms. If Fewclewz had been here, I'm sure he would have had his kit off in a jiffy and been swan diving into them.
In hind sight we should have split this walk in to two trips. By the end we were becoming a bit blase about waterfall. 16 miles of rough terrain, a lot of it, little better than a river bed or rock fall. In the end, the pace became more important than the endless natural beauty that surrounded us.
The trail actually goes behind this fall. It's the easiest way to cross the river.
There were many, many more amazing sights after this but my camera memory ran out about a third of the way around. Of note the pool and weir at the ruins of the gun powder works.

It took us seven hours to the minute. After, we had a couple of bottles of Tesco's finest wine and a few laughs and beers in the Bridge Inn at Abergavenny.
The guy is either a jogger or more likely, a chav joyrider, legging it from the burning car.
Just a perfect day out, with some good mates.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, I'm first!

Seems frightfully energetic old thing!

11:03 AM  
Blogger Frobisher said...

looks/sounds lovely

11:09 AM  
Blogger The Mistress said...

Good to see you wore your sensible shoes and left your high heels at home.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Beautiful Day - and it looks an amazing walk!

3:09 PM  
Blogger phlegmfatale said...

wow - what a stunning group of photos - what a beautiful place you live in!

4:20 PM  
Blogger Tickersoid said...

Anon- 'twas a tad brisk old chap.

Frobi'- I'm amazed by the whole place. It's hard to find anything ugly. Oh hang on, I did see one can of Stella in the water but that was all.

MJ- I should have left the thong at home too. It was starting to chafe by the end.

Lippy- Yes, There are three separate walks. We decided to do them all. Unfortunately we didn't realise how slow the going was.

Phlegm'- It's just over an hours drive from where I live but even the drive there is full of beauty.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Snooze said...

Those pics are stunning. Now you'll have to provide a shot of what your shiny new boots look like après hike.

5:42 PM  
Blogger FirstNations said...

oh that was gorgeous!
and damn...them are some white calves, guys. git some sun on those buns!
there's a natural formation in oregon where the tufa has been cut away by centuries of spray from water cascading over the basalt overmantle. you can walk behind the waterfalls there, too, and now i miss it so much!
of course, the fact that it's in oregon kinds mitigates that a bit..

7:36 PM  
Blogger Fuckkit said...

Thats fucking awesome, I'm almost jealous. The waterfalls here are somewhat drier than they're meant to be...

8:27 AM  
Blogger Jingo said...

wow, looks fantastic! I did something similar when I was in the Lake District last year.

11:25 AM  
Blogger *DB* said...

Good god, you weren't joking about milk white legs in your comment to Lippy the other day were you? (looks at legs in boots post)

Don't worry, I'm right there with you. Or, I was. Now I think I'm going to be sunburned today.

BTW, you didn't doublepost a comment on mine, if that's what you thought you did...

3:17 AM  
Blogger Divian said...

Those photos are breathtaking!!

I so wish I was there to see it.

5:15 AM  
Blogger Tickersoid said...

Snooze- Only once my legs have turned more brown.

First Nations- Give us a link, there must be a picture of it on the web.

Fuckkit- Woo hoooo! Fuckkit's here!.

Jingo- Any Pictures?

Hey lady- I remember now. It was on a blog whose opinion was diametrically opposed to your own.

Awaiting- I thought I'd have to go to New Zealand to find sights like these.

7:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fewclewz............

Be heartened that you are the thinnest in your group, and that your legs, surprisingly, are not neccesarily the whitest!

4:14 AM  
Blogger Tickersoid said...

I feel heartened.

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home